Friday, August 14, 2009

how high the moon

This isn't really about security, but it is about technology.

As we all know, Les Paul died yesterday. When I heard the news, I wasn't surprised -- he was pretty old -- but I was definitely sad. Les Paul's guitars and his wife Mary Ford's voice were a huge part of my early childhood. As a child who loved to sing, I was very interested in the multiple vocal tracks; naturally I thought it was several women singing. My parents explained the concept of multi-tracking and I became quite fascinated. It wasn't until recently that I had the ability to do more than double-tracking, but I still experiment with vocalizing and multitracking now and then. Later on, I learned a lot more about Les Paul's work with Gibson and came to worship the Les Paul style of guitar for the incredible instrument it is. I no longer own a Les Paul guitar myself, but at some point I may invest in one again (the one I had was the less expensive Epiphone™ model).

I could go on in depth about how multitracking works, but I wouldn't be able to describe it as well as Les and Mary themselves, as they joked with Alistair Cooke on Omnibus, shown in this clip:



RIP, Les. You're missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment